Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelican case repair; plastic repair  (Read 1271 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older
Pelican case repair; plastic repair
« on: June 06, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »

> On Jun 6, 2021, at 8:58 AM, bkm wrote:
> Tim,
> Thanks for the information.
> I have carbon fiber cloth which I use to repair broken plastic parts.  I glue the part back together with super glue to temporarily hold it in place, then I weld the broken plastic part back together using a soldering iron.  Then I use a large soldering iron to melt carbon fiber strands into the plastic surface all the way around.
The repair is stronger than was the part originally.
> Because the carbon fiber is black and the plastic is generally black, the repair is nearly invisible.
> I buy carbon fiber cloth at Fiberglass Hawaii in Ventura (https://shop.fiberglasshawaii.com/).
> Bruce
>
>
> On 6/6/2021 8:29 AM, Tim Crawford wrote:
>> In any of you have the pelican cases for eye pieces or any of your gear:
>> One of my latches on my 1400 case broke. I contacted Pelican company. They wanted me to send images of the case number and latch damage . For $10 shipping they sent two new latches and pins. Ask them for instructions on replacement and they will send you instructions via email.
>> On my case, it required I drill holes through the handle to allow access to the pins. On the 1400, they want you to drill a 1/8” hole opposite the pin axis. But, in my case I drilled the first hole about 1/4” so I could “ pivot” the 1/8” drill bit to open the hole for the pin.
>> It’s a pretty easy operation and makes the case go a whole lot further! On newer cases, the access to the pins is much easier. You just tap out the pins and tap in the new latch and pins- that easy.
>> Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up