Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JerryW list of astrophotography steps  (Read 1276 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older
JerryW list of astrophotography steps
« on: November 22, 2021, 12:23:29 PM »

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 9:06 PM Jerry wrote:

Hi Tom
    I listed the steps I go through to set up a portable scope for imaging. I can go over it at Tuesdays meeting.

Steps to setup a portable Astro-imaging session

Set up tripod and mount before dusk and roughly align with North using a compass. Be sure to compensate for the difference between true and magnetic north.
        Using a polar scope in the polar axis of the mount, complete alignment to true north by aligning the image of Polaris with it’s location on the scopes reticle for the correct latitude and time.
        Mount the telescope and counterweights, and balance the scope in both axes
        Align the finder scope with the main scope using a bright star and securely lock the finder scope in place.
        Using the finder, visually center a bright star.
        Put the camera in and focus, using a Bahtinoff mask, on the image of the star.
        REMOVE THE BAHTINOFF MASK!!!
        Inform the planetarium program (e.g. The Sky X) the name of the current star.
        Go to the first target of the evening.
        Take a few quick frames to frame the object in the FOV.
        Set the camera control on the desired number and duration of subframes. Usually 12 exposures at 6 minutes each.
        In PHD Guiding, identify a guide star that will track with a 1 second exposure.
        Calibrate each axis, engage dithering with the camera control software.
        Start the capture sequence.
        Listen to my ipod.

This is the sequence I have used for the past two decades with Astro-Physics mounts (900, 1200 and 1600), QSI wsg type cameras with integral guide chip (500 and 600 series cameras), and DSLR Canon 20Da, 50DH and 60Da. Software is Nebulosity 4 and PHD 2 from Craig Stark. Power is from deep cycle batteries.The planetarium software is The Sky 6 and X. Processing is done using CCDStack, Mira Pro 7, and PhotoShop 6.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up