Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 151123 KZSB Astro show November 23 2015 attached w/o commercials!  (Read 1796 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older

I recorded this episode just on Sunday, Nov. 29, at 3pm when the show was repeated.  I was having problems trying to record the show while we were on because, I think, when the website for KZSB ( http://morenews.newspress.com/kzsb/radio.html ) is started the night before and continuously running to be captured by the Audacity sound program the next day, the website must repeat the show schedule from the day before our show.

Anyway, attached file contains the radio program that I have scrubbed out the commercials and preceding news, so it is only 46 minutes of our shooting the breeze.  Here are some of the topics:  Chuck brought up the topic of comets and Comet Catalina 2013, US10? (BTW, Catalina seems to be the same at Catherine for English).  We reviewed the SBAU last general meeting with Prof. Ruth Murray-Clay on exoplanets and planet formation.  Baron seemed concerned about mankind up against the size of the universe and the time it would take to other civilizations out there.  We talked about the SBAU number of members and Chuck gave Baron a bit of the history.  Caller Richard Dupree said he heard a bit on Dark matter from the NPR program "Wait, Wait, don't tell me" show guest, a Harvard Physic Prof:  http://www.npr.org/2015/11/21/456778588/not-my-job-physics-professor-lisa-randall-gets-quizzed-on-phys-ed .

Then we discussed the upcoming December SBAU meeting, astrophotography as masochism, Richard Dupree added that Dark Matter was called Transparent Matter on the NPR show, but does it anti-matter?  Chuck pointed out that the Milky Way is a barred spiral like the LA traffic jams.   Playing the music from the movie, Chariots of Fire, had TomT mentioning Auriga the constellation, and Baron wanted to know if we could detect any of the stars moving during his lifetime, which Chuck explained Yes, there is some Proper Motion detectable for some close stars.  SBAU club telescope outreaches listed and that other astronomy clubs are out there.  Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up