Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telescope Winners at Astronomy Day May 10, 2014  (Read 2714 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older
Telescope Winners at Astronomy Day May 10, 2014
« on: May 11, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

email I sent to: Mike and CT, TW, PW:
Below are the names and email addresses of the winners of the telescopes on Astronomy Day yesterday.  We promised one year free memberships to each of them, i believe, Colin to add to members list.

The Orion 4.5" StarBlast was won by:
Eric W (he attended the CubeSat meeting with his dad a few weeks ago; also a recent science fair participant at the State level (Goleta Valley Junior High student, Honorable Mention in the Mathematics and Software division and the Raytheon Junior Achievement Award, http://sbsciencefair.org/index.php, (1502) Balacing Diversity and Fitness While Evolving Neural Networks,  $50 Gold Medal, SB County; advisor: Kim M)

and the Zhumell 8" Dobsonian was won by:
Alexis F, a UCSB student, (and relative of Mike Faris?...must have been a 'fix')

I will let Mike send his photos for use in the newsletter and webpages, assuming he gets permission from Eric Wilson's family.

The evening event seemed much better attended than the daytime and was good despite the continuing wind.

Jim W suggested having an essay contest to determine winners of big prizes in the future.  This would avoid giving the prizes to those who have no intentions of using them well.  Luckily Eric W, a previous SBAU meeting attendee, was one of this years winners.  Essays could be submitted by a month ahead of Astro Day and the winner(s) presented on Astro Day?

Tom T
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:52:38 PM by TomT »
Pages: [1]   Go Up