Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Griffith Obs trip July 26, 2016 Tues 12-10p & reservation/paid list  (Read 4285 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older

"Subject: Griffith Observatory SBAU Member trip, July 26, 2016 Tuesday, 12 noon - 10pm

7/24/16:  Total so far signed up:  40; +1 maybe,  total paid/rec'd: 35 as of 7-23-2016.
Reservations: date, names, seats, paid x $20 (28.50)?  *=member
--6/27/2016, *Tom & CezanneTotton, 2, paid cash $40 to TT
--6/29/2016, *IbrahimKhogeer, 1, paid w/ check
--6/29/2016, *RubenGutierrez, 1, paid w/ check
--6/29/2016, *Bruce & BonnieMurdock, 2, paid cash to TT
--6/29/2016, *EldonChapman + GF, 2, paid w/ check
--6/30/2016, *Chuck & PatMcPartlin, 2, paid cash $40 to TT
--6/30/2016, *JimWilliams, 1, paid w/ check
--6/30/2016, *AdrianConrad, 1, paid cash to TT
--6/30/2016, *AdrianLopez, 1, paid cash to TT
--6/30/2016, *Chris & GrettaUlivo, 2, Check $40 rec'd
--6/30/2016, *Eugene (Rick) Hibbs, 1, paid w/ check
--7/1/2016, *RonHerron, 1, paid cash to TT
--7/2/2016, *Richard (Dick) Tracey, 1, paid w/ check
--7/3/2016, *TomWhittemore, 1, paid cash to TT
--7/5/2016, *Janet & MartinMeza, 2, Check $40 rec'd
--7/5/2016, *Joan & JohnJamieson, 2, paid w/ check
--7/8/2016,    *MichelleProfant, 1, paid cash to TT
--7/8/2016,    *JohnEdkins & SusanJackson, 2, paid cash to TT
--7/8/2016, *AlanPiltz, 1, paid w/ check
--7/8/2016,    *BobBrown & nephew, 2, paid w/ check
--7/13/2016, *ChrisDavis, 1, $atMuseum? see Javier?____
--7/14/2016, DougGalati (carpinteria), 1, paid w/ check
--7/15/2016, RogerLagerquist (BruceM friend), 1, chk to TT soon
--7/18/2016, *DavidSalvia, 1, paid w/ check
--7/18/2016, LindaMelsher (docent), 1, paid w/ check
--7/19/2016, *MikeDilley & Pamela, 2, paid w/ check to TT
--7/22/2016, *AlecSherwin +?, 1 + 1 maybe, cash at bus
--7/23/2016, AidanBarbieux (AdrianC friend), 1, cash+membership at bus
--7/24/2016, *WarrenBitters, 1, cash at bus
--7/24/2016, Chonnie (Chapman friend), 1, cash at bus

Update 7/24/16:
Hello all SBAU Griffith Observatory & Museum trippers!
Thoughts and considerations:
-Aim to arrive early, about 1130am, at the Museum of Natural History, 2559 Puesta del Sol.  This will give you a chance to use the restroom at the museum or buy a drink or snack from the machines there.  Visit the Museum store if you have an early minute.  By arriving early, this should eliminate any fear of being left behind.  We need to leave at 12 noon sharp to get in a full day at the Griffith and get back to Santa Barbara by 10pm before the museum parking lot needs to close at 1030pm.  We can lift the chains to get out if we need to, but late evenings at the museum are frowned on by the neighbors.  Please keep the noise down (no tire burnouts or honking or that type of thing!).
-Park in handicapped spots if you need to, otherwise for the shortest walk to the bus, park in front of the museum on either side of the one-way street.  Parking in the Museum main lot may be a bit filled with lots of summer museum visitors and kids camp related folks, but hopefully between that area and the nearby streets our cars should have a spot near the museum.
-Leaving extra bags or jackets on the bus while we visit the Griffith should be OK, the bus driver will lock up the bus if he is not there, but valuable items left there would not be wise.  The driver will probably be parking just down the hill and I hope the driver walks up to get a look at the Griffith displays.
-Eat lunch before getting on the bus?  That is something to consider.  Yes you can bring snacks and drinks on the bus, but be responsible for cleaning up any crumbs or mess.  Bring napkins to wipe up with.  If you need to use the bus restroom, leave it clean.  No alcohol on board unless you pay the $500 security deposit!  https://www.sbairbus.com/page/display/charter_FAQ  .
-There is Wi-Fi on the bus for an internet connection.  If so, consider using a Virtual Private Network like PrivateInternetAccess or some free one on the Google Chrome browser for a more secure connection.
-Ear plugs might be a good idea to cut out excessive noise, or an mp3 music/news player with earphones might your thing if a few hours of conversation is not.  Perhaps you will need to catch up on some sleep.  However, I hope you consider taking some time reach out to those you may not know and talk to fellow SBAU members and friends.  Everyone on this trip has an interest in the sciences!
-The weather in Hollywood will be quite warm (94F? at 2pm) but we will be in an air-conditioned bus and inside an air-conditioned building most of the time.  Maybe a very light jacket, if the a/c gets to you, over a light shirt will be enough?  Wear some pants, too!  Wide brimmed hat or sun umbrella for wandering about the outside of the building for some great views?
-Review the Griffith Observatory web pages for more on its history.  Evidently it was renovated from 2002-2006 using a $93Milion Los Angeles bond issue.  http://www.griffithobservatory.org/visiting/faq.html  .
-Do not forget your charged camera, lens, and extra batteries, cell phone and extra power, binoculars perhaps, and cash/credit for food/drink/shows at the Observatory.
-Plan your time at the Griffith Observatory...or play it by ear.  I am going to try to watch all three planetarium shows, at $5/ea for seniors, because I have seen the exhibits and outer areas before and the presentations are very professional, unlike mine.  I will need to take a break in-between for food and to catch a bit of everything again.  However, will tickets still be available for the show at 245pm?  The tickets start selling at 12 Noon and we do not get there until 2pm.   Here is a page with planetarium shows and times:  http://www.griffithobservatory.org/programs/soplanetarium.html#buyticket  .  Maybe I will see you around the displays or at the cafe, but feel free to do what you want until we board the bus at 8pm in front of the Observatory.  They might have a couple of telescopes out front by that time, but sunset is not until 8pm as well.  Also, I am not sure if the 12 inch refractor on the roof will be available for a quick view.
-If you do not see a friend who is going email address above, please forward this message on to them.

Guaranteed to be a great time, and you will be leaving with a tired smile on your face...but no refunds!  Please let me know if you cannot make it to the bus so we will not worry about you.

Tom Totton, President, Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit
562-8795, home;  805-980-7832, cell

Update 7/22/16:
On 7/22/2016 6:31 PM, Secretary Adrian Lopez wrote:
> A last-minute message regarding the upcoming SBAU trip to Griffith Observatory:
>
> Dear SBAU members,
> re: Griffith Observatory Trip, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, leaving at noon sharp from Museum Natural History
> To those who are going on the trip (and for consideration of those who are not), we still have a few seats available on the SB Airbus.  We have 36 folks signed up (incl. 9 couples) with a goal of having 40 on board.  The bus can handle 47 max.  So if you want to convince a friend to come along, we should have the room unless there is a last minute rush!  Please contact me, Tom Totton (562-8795 or email), to reserve a seat and I can collect your check or cash at the time of boarding on the bus.  Returning by 10 PM, SBAU Members will pay only $20 each.  Non-members are at $28.50 each (immediately join to save $?...especially a family membership if two).  Checks will need to be made out to the SBMNH, noting the Griffith SBAU trip below.  Last chance to leave the driving to someone else to a great museum of exhibits, etc. etc.  http://sbau.org/sbauforum/index.php?topic=223.0
> Thanks for considering,
> Tom, President, Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit

6/29/16:
Hello SBAU members:
Thanks to Past President Ruben Gutierrez, the Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit has scheduled a bus trip to the fantastic Griffith Observatory on Tuesday, July 26, 2016.  The club's last visit was four years ago and there was barely enough time to visit all the exhibits, see a planetarium show, and enjoy the area with us arriving at about 2pm and staying for about 6 hours.  Check out the possibilities here: http://griffithobservatory.org/  .  There is a lot of walking that can be done, so prepare yourself for that.  They have a food service there (see the Wolfgang Puck Cafe at the End of the Universe webpage), but you may wish to bring your own lunch/dinner/snacks.  The bus will drop us off at the front of the Observatory, but it will not be available again until we are picked up at 8pm to go home.  It is great to have someone else doing the driving and for a very reasonable price, although planetarium shows, food, and gifts are not included!

We will leave the Museum of Natural History front bus stop at 12 Noon Sharp and return by 10pm.  The 47 passenger Santa Barbara Airbus has a great price of $28.50 per person based on 40 passengers signing up, including a tip.  However, SBAU Members (as determined by latest member list maintained by the Secretary) will pay only $20 each!!, as a benefit from your dues and some successful donation sales boosting our treasury.  Non-members may be considered at $28.50 each after the July 8th meeting (2nd Friday! latest JPL on Pluto!) if space is still available, so please email me (President@sbau.org) or call me & leave a message (Tom, 562-8795) on or before July 8 if you plan on going to reserve your spot(s).  I will then need cash or a check made out to the SB Museum of Natural History, by July 15 (snail mail to: Astronomical Unit, c/o SBMNH, 2559 Puesta Del Sol Road,Santa Barbara, CA 93105-2998) to guarantee your seats.

I will notify you back (make sure I have your email address) that I have received your reservation & money.  I think I will limit the bus to 45 passengers to leave a couple of seats open for flexibility.  If less than 40 SBAU members reserve by July 8, we will open seats up to other Museum members & the SBCC Astronomy Club.  I may list the names of those who have reservations and those who have paid in a topic on the SBAU Forum, Outreach & Events:  http://sbau.org/sbauforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=08ed705197149fc8cc3ddc08d9e2e835&board=4.0 as another form of confirmation.

This will be first come, first served, with any ties or miscommunication or confusion (based on date of notification) to the last seat available decided by a flip of the coin or random number generator or personal bias by your President.  Hey, we do not claim to be perfect so help me out with early reservations and early payment.

This may be the trip of a lifetime for some of us who rarely get down to Los Angeles.  This may be a yearly adventure for others, because it is such a great place.  I hope you get a chance to join your fellow astronomy buffs to enjoy this trip to the Griffith Observatory.  Please notify me soon and I will see you there for sure!  SB Airbus charter contract #45611 $1140, incl $100 tip.

Tom Totton, President, Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:52:27 PM by TomT »
Pages: [1]   Go Up