Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 21 August 2017 Total Solar Eclipse plans?  (Read 2834 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older
21 August 2017 Total Solar Eclipse plans?
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »

Hi all,
JerryW will be going to Bend?, Oregon area with a friend, and I think PaulW has a reservation in Idaho.  MikeF had started a trip plan to Wyoming, perhaps renting a RV, and sharing the cost with others.  JoeD mentioned that there might be an Astronomy campout in Oregon at that time.

For this 2 minute morning event, what do you think is the way to go?  Seems like an expensive quick trip to take unless you can enjoy some other areas on the way there or back.  Eastern Oregon does seem like the best place to expect clear weather, as I remember Wyoming had thunderclouds when we were there in 2013.  Check the weather historys for the area you are thinking of?

Here is the NASA link to the map of the solar eclipse path: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

The Oregon Star Party, if there is one, sounds like a great thing to attend.  Maybe if you get a motel near Portland and check the weather for the day, one can go towards the west side of Oregon in the hills there or even to the Pacific beach!  Reservations at more than one campsite or motel might be the trick for those with deep pockets?

I hope I can justify a trip to see the Solar Eclipse and be ready to record it with the H-Alpha scope or at least a 20X camera lens.  Otherwise I will have to rely on the internet to take me to someone else's vacation to see the event.
Pages: [1]   Go Up