Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comments on latest SBAU.org April 21, 2014  (Read 3874 times)

TomT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Photos of SBAU activities on FLICKR, albums latest to older
Comments on latest SBAU.org April 21, 2014
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

Webmaster Paul,
Lots of changes!  You are probably still modifying things, but here are a few of my observations, for what it is worth:
-Not having the drop downs is good by me, but Calendar button could have /Newsletter added or a separate page & button for that.  (I hope we can eliminate the paper newsletter as SBAU.org covers Meeting announcements and Calendars/events well.) 
-The Website could add a Presidents Blog page, a past Meetings review Blog, and maybe the Telescope Workshop could have its page under SBAU.org also, as these should be regularly occuring.  Otherwise the Forum can handle other random article entries by members, unless they want their own blog style page, for instance Chuck's astronomy articles he posts to Edhat, or TimC's articles on telescopes.  I think Blogs are nicer to keep a topic together compared to the Forum, unless there is expected to be a number of member comments on a narrow topic.
-Header of SBAU, I think you could just say "Gateway to the Stars" and leave off the "Santa Barbara" since it is already above it.  And that way, we in Goleta do not feel left out!
-Red font headings...hmm, not intense enough?  Seems to not connect to the paragraph below maybe due to the space under it or just not stand out enough? More Bold?
-I think the monthly SBAU meeting should start the left column, then the right column could have the latest general news/tv/club stuff, newer to older; and then maybe separate skywatching "news" events below that.
-Current moon, weather, clearsky chart could just be on the Weather page to condense the Home page.
-Telescope workshop paragraph could be put on Calendar/Events page, although again, a separate header button link labeled "Telescope Workshop" could go to a page, new blog, or to the existing blog (I keep wondering how long I can keep the Google Blogger blog going by myself...I have invited others to add articles on their own.)
-Wonder if justifying the print on the page would help to professionalize the appearance?  Everything is left justified at the moment, except for the "latest news in the Astro World" (skywatching?) which is centered.  Also, any images on the page look better to me if all are left or center justified the same? Not sure on that.
-My Flickr widget for random sbau photos could be placed on the Events page as that is what the photos relate to mostly.
-Interesting 2 column look, although I had to Cntl+"-" the Firefox page to fit and the fonts look now about 10pt on the right half of my 30" 2560x1600 screen.  MotoX cell phone Chrome page has a dark gray tint on the right side 15%, portrait or landscape, weird.
Enough for now.  Interesting changes going on.  Hope others chime in as to what makes the website the most useable for them...Maybe everything can be put on the Home page so I can see all if I just scroll down!  (only half kidding)
Pages: [1]   Go Up